Some more takeaways from this year’s Catalyst West conference. (Comments in italics are my insights.)
- For Paul, everything was bringing people back to the gospel. The gospel saves, sustains, and sanctifies us.
- In his writings, Paul always addresses the gospel before he addresses behaviors. (We can’t tackle the issues of morality until transformed by grace.)
- If you’re using God to get something (peace, a job, security, etc.) that thing is actually your God. These things make crappy gods. (Matt’s word choice, not mine.)
- Our first calling is to know Christ. When Jesus called leaders, they were first and foremost to be with him–only after would they do other stuff.
- When Jesus is our source of joy (and the center of our heart) all of the losses in life only push us closer to him. (Bam. Like a ton of bricks.)
- The Apostle John had the most intimate relationship with Jesus… he also had the longest ministry and received the most revelation (he even wrote a book by that name…)
- Stop trying to lead and start loving.
That’s all. Awesome conference. I want to go again.